Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dr. Mom

"Man, it must be sweet being a baby," I think as I'm watching my 10 month old wandering all around his room during his morning playtime.  The room is decimated with toys, empty bottle, sippy cup, dirty diaper, and clothes, scattered all over the floor.  He's playing with one of his favorite toys "Scout" the puppy that's singing a song, which I know by heart.  Then he quickly drops it and crawls over to another equally annoying toy.  Now he's yelling into a bucket and laughing at himself.  I'm so jealous.  I wish I could do that all day.
And even though I'm exhausted because I haven't slept more than six hours a night this week and was up all last night while my husband was with his dad in the hospital, I still can't help but smile and laugh out loud when Killian tries to blow raspberries at me and then bite my toe off.  I feel so very blessed just to be sitting here in the rocking chair in his room watching him play.  And I can truly say that I wouldn't trade where I am for anything else in the world.
Today the class I started with in med school is graduating.  And it's a little bittersweet for me because I'm happy for my friends and classmates, but I'm also a little disappointed that I still don't have the honor of being called a doctor.  But I am reminded when I look at down at my little boy about how lucky I am.  I've gotten to have so much time during his first year to be with him and watch him grow.  Hey, what's one more year when you get such a great trade off??  A year ago today I was a little over 7 months pregnant, and to think about how fast time has gone by since then....

Not many people have had the pleasure of being a med student and becoming a mom at the same time.  Yes, I said pleasure.  Because it truly has been.  I'm one of those people who think that everything happens for a reason, and I truly believe that this precious little boy came into my life at the exact moment I needed him to.  He has made me a more patient person, a more organized person (and yet more laid back at the same time), and most importantly he has made me a better doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....