Saturday, February 16, 2013

7 months of residency and 5 months of pregnancy later...

Seven months into first year of residency and you wouldn't know it from my lack of blogging, but I am still alive. Yes, I've made it over the first year hump of my family medicine residency. Hard to believe. And boy do I have lots to catch up on!

I've pretty much gotten a taste of everything these last six months... OB, peds, inpatient medicine, ICU, and gynecology, all with a little time in clinic dispersed throughout. What I liked most (and why I chose family medicine) is that there's so much variety to it and you can really do a bit of almost any specialty as a family doc. I went into residency with a lot of different interests. Integrative medicine, sports medicine, OB, emergency... But the busier I get and the more I go along, I've realized that I can't do it all. But what my absolute favorite thing to do as a family doc is obstetrics. So I've decided to make that an integral part of my practice.

20 weeks along
And what better way to get more experience in OB than to be pregnant myself! That's right folks, we're having our second child! If you thought I was crazy enough to have a kid in med school, then I bet you think I'm even more crazy to do it again in residency. Like I've always said... being a doctor is my career and my family is my life. Meaning, I'll never put my job or anything else before my family. Because at the end of the day, they're the ones I come home to and the ones who support me and love me. So I didn't think much of it when my husband suggested we expand our family.

Much to my surprise, it didn't take long at all. As a matter of fact, the same month we started "trying" or better yet, not avoiding it, we got knocked up! I really shouldn't be surprised at all because the same exact thing happened the first time around. I just thought that three years later and under the stress of residency (and lack of along time with the hubby), it might be a little more difficult than "poof you're pregnant". Boy was I wrong. 

So I'm about 22 weeks along now, and I have to say that being pregnant in residency is way tougher than being pregnant in medical school. For one, I'm working way more hours. And I have way more responsibilities. My first four months were absolute hell. I was throwing up several times a day and tired beyond belief. All of which was so different from my first pregnancy, which led me to believe I was going to have a girl this time around. But to my surprise, we are adding another penis to this household! I'm completely outnumbered. Even our dog is a boy.

Killian proud to announce he's having a brother!
Well right now I'm doing my two week pediatric night float rotation. And usually I hate working nights, but this time around it's been quite enjoyable because I get to admit kids and take care of all the newborns. My pregnancy hormones are on overdrive seeing all the cute little babies. And starting next week I get to do another month of OB and pediatrics, which is even better. The hours are long, but I'll be seeing my favorite kind of patients. Plus it'll bring me back to third year medical school when I was 6 months pregnant on my OB rotation and I had made such great connections with my fellow pregnant mommies.


I make no guarantees, but I hope that I will start to be better about blogging and keeping you all up to date with how residency is going. Especially since I'll be on maternity leave in about four more months, I may have more time. Who am I kidding? With a three year old and a newborn baby, I'll likely have no time. But I'll do my best. After all, one of the reasons I started this blog was to show fellow med students/residents/physicians that you can have a life outside medicine.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....