Thursday, May 5, 2011

So I Started a Blog....

The first words my husband said to me when I told him I was starting a blog was, "Well, there goes our sex life!"  Like we don't spend enough time on our computers already checking our facebook fifty times a day and then our email, then our other email account, and facebook again.  Our laptops have been the sole source of wasting time in this house.
Because after working an eight (sometimes 10) hour shift and taking care of our soon-to-be 10 month old, all you really want to do is relax.  And unfortunately I've been spending my "relaxation" time just looking at crap on my computer.  So why would I ever start a blog then?  Well, because maybe I can find some sanity by having an outlet to talk about whatever craziness is going on in my life.
If you didn't pick up the obvious-ness of the title of my blog, I am a mom and a fourth year medical student.  That's right!  One more year and I will be a doctor.  I still can't believe it myself.  I should've been graduating this month, but my husband and I had this crazy idea that it would be "easier" to have a baby while I was still in school.  So I took six months off and now I get to do my fourth year over a year and a half, which is actually pretty awesome.
I consider myself an unconventional medical student. Unlike most of my fellow medical students who spend 90% of their time hitting the books, I study whenever I find the time.  Ever since I started medical school I've always said that my family and friends will come first and school second.  Being a doctor is just my career and as much as I absolutely love doing it, it will not love me back.  My family is what will be here when I'm done and I refused to push them aside for four years.  Which is why I really didn't think much of it when my husband and I decided to plan a wedding right around the time I took my Step 1 boards, or when we said, "Hey, let's have a baby!" only a few short months after being married in the middle of my third year rotations.
As simple as I made this all sound, I have stacked my plate with way more than I thought I could ever chew.  Ok, that doesn't sound right.  I've bitten off more than I can chew.  Or did I? Let's see.... I haven't dropped out of school yet.  I've still managed to get pretty good grades actually.  My child is healthy, happy, and thriving.  My husband and I still have a rock-solid relationship (he is my BEST FRIEND).
The only thing is I'm stressed out of my mind!  If you ask any of my friend or family, they'll tell you that I'm of the "anxious" type.  I prefer the term "Type A Personality".  I feel the need for things to be perfect and when they're not I don't function well.  Right now I barely get enough sleep since I'm working 5pm to 1am shifts in a pediatric ER.  I struggle to find time to work out so I can lose that extra 10 pounds of baby weight.  And being a mother on top of it all just makes you a crazy person, always worrying about the well-being of your child (who now has yet another ear infection).
If you've read this much then you deserve a big THANK YOU.  I didn't start this blog because I consider myself that interesting of a person that I think hundreds of people need to read my story.  I just did it because I need a place to talk about my daily shenanigans and unload some of my anxiety.  And if some people relate or maybe even find it amusing, then bonus!  I certainly don't expect, like my husband is telling me right now, that I will have an article on Yahoo or go on the Today Show or end up with a book deal.  Though I do think it's sweet that he thinks that highly of me :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo, Maria, and welcome to the blogging community -- count on me to be a regular reader! :-)

    Oh, and Happy Mother's Day, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound A LOT like me on your school-family-sanity balance... I would love to hear about how pregnancy was while you were in school. I had my son before med school, but we would like to have another. I have heard that there is no "good time" so to just go for it...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like....