Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mom's the Word!

I woke up this morning to the voice of my little boy saying "Ma! Ma!" as him and my husband were plotting to come wake me up with a cup of coffee, flowers made of tissue paper, and red velvet cupcakes spelling out "Happy Mother's Day". It was just what I needed! It'll be my second year as a mom, and even though in some ways it's gotten a lot tougher (battling a soon-to-be two year old), it certainly keeps getting better. Especially when you get to have coffee and a cupcake for breakfast just because you're a mom!

Me with Killian at 1 month old.
I was looking back through my photos of when Killian was first born. And even though it really wasn't that long ago, I feel like so much has happened in the past 22 months that it's hard to remember what it was like when he was first born. Of course I could never forget waking up at five in the morning and with steady contractions, the fourteen hours of labor, or the two and a half hours of pushing. Then staying up till two in the morning just staring at this brand new beautiful little baby boy. I remember the instant feeling of complete unconditional love and joy that I had him. And I knew my world was forever changed.
My handsome little man today.

Now almost two years later.... we have a walking, talking, very persistent, super silly, and amazing loving little boy. I just can't believe how much has happened between now and then. Being a mom has been the best and hardest thing of my life. Each day you are responsible for teaching your child how to behave, how to act, how to talk, how to not do things that will injure himself. It's exhausting! But dispersed through all that responsibility of trying not to mess up your kid, are moments of sweet perfection. Like when he climbs up on your lap and settles into your chest and you become intoxicated by the smell of his hair. Or when he comes up to you and puckers his lips, wanting a kiss just because.

My mom with Killian when he was born.
And what Mother's Day wouldn't be complete without paying homage to my own mom. She has always done so much for me and never expected anything in return. Not only has she been a great mom to me, but a fantastic grandmother to my child. She has been one of my greatest cheerleaders in life, even when she had to drive me to cheerleading practices and competitions when I was younger, or make a cake at the last minute for me to bring to school (because I forget to tell her I volunteered to do so), or bring me to a hypnotist so I could get over my fear of doing a back handspring in gymnastics (which never did work).

Looking back on all my mom's done for me, I can tell that I will certainly have my plate full in the coming years with Killian. Everyone says that being a mom is a selfless job, but the reward of getting to see your child grow and turn into the person they're born to be is priceless. I can't wait to bring Killian to hockey practices or stay up late helping him with his science fair project (which will win first place) or help him pick out an outfit for his first school dance. So much to look forward to. I love being a mom and all that it brings.

So on this Mother's Day I am very thankful for having grown up with such a caring and loving mom who would literally do anything for me. And I'm also grateful not just because I got to eat a cupcake for breakfast, but because 22 months ago I got the greatest gift of all when I became a mom. So happy Mother's Day to me and Happy Mother's day to all my friends and family who are moms. You have all been an inspiration to me in one way or the other.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....