Friday, May 4, 2012

Happy 1 Year Bloggerversary to Me!


It's hard to believe that it's already been a year since I first started my blog. I honestly thought in the beginning that it'd be something that fizzled out quite quickly over time, especially being so busy with medical school, being a wife, taking care of my little boy.... but surprisingly I've kept up with it. Sure, I could have written a bit more here and there, but over 70 posts in a year is impressive for a first time blogger!

I always told myself that if I ever thought this was a chore or a task to get done then I wouldn't do it anymore. I wanted my blog to always be something that was therapeutic and fun for me, so if I ever felt like it was something I "had" to do then it just wouldn't work. Thankfully writing this blog is still quite enjoyable for me and hopefully just as enjoyable for those reading it.

It's typically on your birthday that you reflect back on the year that passed, but today I've actually put more thought into it than on my birthday. I think it's because looking back through my posts over the past year, I can see how far I've come. I can honestly say that I'm a different person... I've grown to be more confident in myself and not worry so much about what others think of me. And by writing my thoughts and feelings and putting them out to the online world, I've become more vulnerable but strangely comfortable with it.

I was away over the weekend for a women's physician mentoring weekend in Maine and one of the things we did during dinner was go around the room saying one thing we're grateful for, something we're good at, and something we're struggling with. I thought it was a great way of gauging where I'm at today and reflecting on my future. So with that said, I'm grateful that in just a few short weeks, after five longs years of hard work, I'll finally be graduating medical school. I'll be starting my dream job as a family practice doctor, which something I absolutely love to do (and not a lot of people can say that they love their job).

What I think I've been good at is being able to balance my life as a medical student, a wife, and a mom. The key for me has been to always recognize that being a doctor is my career, but my family and my friends are my life. And it's the people who surround me who give me strength and support, and truly help define the person I am today. Without them I couldn't be the doctor I will soon be and for them I am forever grateful.

And finally, something I struggle with is trying to not always beat myself up, especially over the small things. I always feel like I'm never doing enough as a medical student or a mom or a wife. After all, we are all our own harshest critics. But in all seriousness, I need to let go sometimes and just be happy with myself. Whether it's regarding my parenting skills, my physical appearance, or my ability as a future physician. There's always room for improvement, but no need to bash yourself along the way.

So to wrap things up, I'd like to thank all those who have been following along in my journey. I truly appreciate every single person who has taken the time to read my words and those who've left some great comments. Even if just one person was getting something positive from my blog, then it's all worth it. Please stick around to read about my journey through residency and balancing being a doctor and a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....