Saturday, October 22, 2011

Back on Track

Despite running two 5k's this summer, I have sadly been slacking in the working-out department. I've been so busy with being on clinical rotations this fall and trying to spend more time with my family, that I haven't devoted much time to fitness. Usually I go for walks on the weekends with Killian and our dog after the hubby heads to works, but that hasn't really done much for my figure. So I decided I needed to start making some changes to get back on track.

First thing I did was sign my husband and I up for another 5k, since having a goal set in mind is always my best motivator. Then I decided that if I had enough time to sit in front of the TV at all, then the least I could do was some stretching or ab exercises. Also, this week I started hitting up the gym again and seeing how I did on the treadmill. My first day I ran a mile and a half, then walked another mile and a half. Today I got to two miles, then walked a mile. I was surprised at how easy it was to start to build up my endurance, especially since I haven't run since August. I'm also going to start doing some Itsy Bitsy Yoga classes with Killian on the weekends, and some hot yoga with the hubby.

And since losing weight and getting in shape isn't all about exercise, I've also been trying to focus on what I eat a little more. In the past I've noticed that just trying to eat "healthy" hasn't always worked for me. I definitely need more structure in my diet. So my husband has been making me healthy smoothies* twice a day, which is great for me because I absolutely hate thinking about what to eat and planning meals. I wish I was more interested in cooking, but when you work 10 hour days and have a toddler to take care of, study, prepare for residency interviews, and try to squeeze in a workout....... then there really isn't any time to cook.

Ultimately my goal is to get back in bikini body shape this summer. I had these delusions of grandeur thinking that I was going to bounce back so quickly after having a baby and be able to wear all my old clothes again (yes, even my bathing suits). Well, obviously that's not always the case. But now that I'm over a year post-baby belly, I need to get my butt in gear and start making a greater effort to regain my body! Not only just to look better, but to feel better and have more energy. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

*If you have any good smoothie recipes, please share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....