Saturday, June 4, 2011

I feel the need.... to read!

To break away from my usual medical-related/mommy topics, I decided to write a few suggestions of books that I think would be great to pick up and read this summer.  My most favorite thing to do is to read a book (preferably one that I'm not studying from) before I go to bed.  It's my only time of pure relaxation that I get.  I recommend grabbing a glass of pinot noir, cuddling up with your favorite pillow (I still use my giant Boppy from when I was pregnant), and perusing through a few of these titles....

1.  Bossy Pants, by Tina Fey-  I'm in the middle of reading this right now and I have to say I've never laughed more while reading a book.  Here's an excerpt: "If you are a woman and you bought this book for practical tips on how to make it in a male-dominated workplace, here they are.  No pigtails, no tube tops, Cry sparingly.... When choosing sexual partners, remember: Talent is not sexually transmittable.  Also, don't eat diet food in meetings."  And that's just the second paragraph.  It's hilarious!! I still have a ways to go, but you know a book's gotta be good if I'm already recommending it and I'm not even done!

2.  Hot, Sweaty Mamas, by Kara Thom-  I mentioned this book in a previous blog (http://medstudentmommy.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-motivation.html), but I feel it's worth mentioning again.  Not just for moms, but for anyone who struggles finding the time or motivation to exercise (like me!).  It's totally relatable and a nice easy read.  No gimmicks, no fad diets.  Just a woman reaching out to other women trying to inspire them to get off their butts and get sweaty.  

3.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling-  The final installment of the greatest series of books ever written!!!!  I am aware that I'm revealing my inner nerd to all of you by confessing that I am a "Potter-head", but I'm ok with that.  I re-read this book during my late night breast-feeding sessions when Killian was just born, right before the last movie came out.  I highly recommend re-reading it before the final movie comes to theaters this July.  I say "re-read" because I'd be shocked if you haven't already read it.  And if you just never hopped on the Harry Potter bandwagon, now's your chance!! My 30 year old cousin, who's never finished an entire book in her life, read this last year because she's seen all the movies and actually finished it (in about 3 days!).  So if she can do it, then you can too!

4.  Heart of the Matter, Emily Giffin-  I'm addicted to girly books like Confessions of a Shopaholic.  Emily Giffin reminds me a lot of Sophie Kinsella, and her books are super fun and cute.  I recommend all of them, but her most recent book Heart of the Matter is perhaps one of my favorites.  It's about a woman who falls in love with her child's doctor (who's married with kids of his own) and things just get messy.  The chapters flip-flop from the aforementioned woman's character, to the doctor's wife's point of view.  I literally couldn't put it down.  


5.  This Won't Hurt a Bit (And Other White Lies), by Michelle Au- So I have to admit, I haven't read this book yet.  But the reason I put it on here is because I am really looking forward to reading it.  It's written by this woman who's an Anesthesiologist and a mom and she has this great blog (http://theunderweardrawer.blogspot.com).  The book is about her struggle to maintain a life outside of medicine, which is what I'm currently trying to do!  If her book's half as good as her blog, then it'll be well worth the read.

So that's it.  My short list of books to read this summer, or anytime for that matter.  I'm interested to hear what you guys think of them shall you read them.  Also, I'd love to hear if any of you have some good suggestions yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....