Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Well... Here Goes Residency!

I officially started residency yesterday, although I have a week and a half of orientation, EMR training, ACLS, and lots of meetings before I actually start "working". It's hard to describe what exactly I was feeling when I walked into the conference room Monday morning to meet with my fellow residents and the residency director. I wasn't too nervous since I was quite familiar with the hospital already after spending two and a half months doing rotations there fourth year. I also met some of the other residents last week at a shin ding at my house. Plus, I already knew the residency director because I worked with him before.

When I pulled up to the hospital I got the honor of parking in the physician lot. You know you made it when you get to park in physician parking. Quite honestly, though, I really thought that I was going to walk into the hospital and someone was going to tell me it was all a hoax and I wasn't really a doctor. Thankfully, that did happen. After meeting the remaining of the residents I hadn't already met, the residency director started his welcome spiel. I knew it was going to be a great three years since he started off by playing the beginning of the very first episode of scrubs. (He said he was going to walk in and act out a scene from the first episode of Grey's Anatomy, but his family highly discouraged it).

I'm not gonna lie, the rest of the day was pretty boring. A VERY long morning of hospital orientation mumbo jumbo, followed by ACLS training. I had just done a course in January, but still had to do it. I didn't mind though, because honestly it was a good way to get to know my fellow residents a little more. We had to do another whole day of ACLS training today, which I'm proud to say we all passed! So feel assured that the family medicine residents are fully qualified to resuscitate you should you go into cardiac arrest.

My official doctor ID badge!
Though it's only been two days, I can tell already that I'm going to get along with my fellow residents. The program did a great job of picking a group of people that will mesh well together. And a huge reason why I even wanted this program in the first place was because I like the residents a lot and thought I would fit in well. If you're gonna spend three years and countless hours working with a group of people, it's definitely a bonus if you all get along and like each other. In the end I could really work with anyone, but I'd rather work with people who are my friends. So here's hoping to making many new friends over the next few years!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....