Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The First Cut is the Deepest

My little boy has officially turned into a big boy. He got his first haircut this week. I knew it was inevitable seeing as his beautiful curly quaff was starting to turn into a frizzy mullet. And since he's the ring-bearer in a wedding in a few weeks, I figured it was time to clean him up a bit. I know a lot of moms who absolutely refuse to cut their child's hair and by two years of age they could easily pass for a member of an 80s hair band. But I've never been that kind of mom who freaks out when my kid gets shots or got emotional over weaning from breastfeeding. And getting his first haircut was no different.

So my husband and I brought him to our local barbershop where my husband usually goes. When we first got there she was also cutting another little boys hair, and I thought it would be good for Killian to see but he was more interested in the candy machine instead. Thankfully this barber is smart enough to have a little TV in front of her chair to try to distract the little guys. It was then Killian's turn and my husband sat him on his lap. We prepared ourselves for a wrestling match, but surprisingly he was really good. The barber took her first snip and gave me his beautiful golden curl so I could scrapbook it (I have a whole drawer of stuff I still need to scrapbook if I ever get time). Aside from the occasional moment where he tried to dodge her, he did amazingly well.

Checking out his new do!
In a few short moments my little guy was done and even looked a few months older! I was more nervous of the barber just totally screwing up and having the shave his whole head- of course I jump to the most drastic outcome- but that didn't happen and he looked so handsome in the end. Now he has a slick new haircut to go with his fancy tux for the wedding. And maybe this "big boy" haircut will bring some big boy changes. I can already see him acting a little older!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other posts you might like....